Thursday, July 25, 2013

Shaving Cream Art

In the spirit of trying to be more creative, I've been searching the internet for art projects we would all enjoy doing together.  I came across the idea of shaving cream art.  I had never heard of such a thing so I googled it.  I must be living under a rock!  I think everyone knows about it!

First, spray a layer of shaving cream onto some sort of containable surface.  We used cookie sheets since they have a lip around the sides.  Disposable aluminum baking trays are a good option, too.

Some used more shaving cream than others :)

Take a flat object...spatula, knife, piece of cardboard or plastic and flatten the foam down so you have an even surface.
Then add drops of food coloring

Next, take a toothpick and use it to swirl the color around.  Don't push all the way down...you want to keep the dye close to the top.



 
Press a piece of  paper onto to surface so it soaks up the color and then peel it off.  We used white card stock.

We put our papers outside for a while to dry.


They spent a good chunk of time playing with the foam and mixing colors.



Then we took paper towels and wiped the shaving cream off the papers.

Dakota's

Britney's

Mine
We really enjoyed this!  It's super simple, lots of fun and a very inexpensive project.  Plus, we think the results are pretty cool :)  I definitely want to try it again (maybe tomorrow) so I can mix the colors together better to give it more of a marbled effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where we've been as a family