Monday, July 16, 2012

Super Duper Cooper

We had been thinking about getting a small, indoor dog.  We wanted something we could take camping, that Cody could easily handle, that could snuggle up with the kids on the couch to watch a movie and sleep in the bed with them at night.  We had something in mind...a fluffy little brown or black dog, about a year old that we could rescue from the shelter.  Really the only thing that we didn't want was a short haired, white dog.  I just don't like white animals.  Sorry.  Personal preference.

Back in June, mom called me and asked if when I came over, if I was planning on bringing the kids.  I told her I wasn't and we chatted a while longer.  Just before I hung up, she excitedly said "OKAY!  Let me tell you why I want you to bring the kids over!"

That morning, she walked into her laundry room and looked out the window.  There was a small, what she thought was a baby possum, curled up by her fig tree.  She walked outside and it was a puppy.  Just as a side note, this is the fifth puppy that has been dropped off/abandoned at her house in the year she's been living there.  Word must be out that she's the place to take unwanted puppies.

So I asked Britney and Cody if they would ride with me over to Grandma's.  We loaded up and headed over to see this guy.

We estimated that he was about 8 weeks old and think he's a Rat Terrier/Chihuahua mix.  Which means he's a puppy, has short hair and is VERY white.  Figures.


We decided to bring him home and give him a trial run to decide if he's a good fit for us.  We kicked around  A LOT of names, and finally ended with Cooper...as in Sheldon.  LOVE us some Big Bang Theory!


We've had him for about three weeks and he's weaseled his way into our hearts.  Well, everyone's except for Britney.  She's never felt like he's her dog.  But Cody sure does!  He LOVES him.  Cooper loves to snuggle and sleeps all night in the bed with Cody, loves to play and chew on his toys...and on hands, toes, feet, and anything else he can grab, he's a huge fan of dirty socks and if he disappears, it's because he's fallen asleep in the laundry room.  He has good and bad days with house training, but he's still a baby.  He'll get there.



I'm anxious to take him camping with us and see how he does.  He loves riding in the car.  He's gone to Dad's with us once and slept or played with Cody the whole time.  I'm sure he'll do great in the camper.  He thinks leashes are of the devil...as is that crate in the corner of the living room that we put him in when we have to leave him alone.

So our journey with Cooper the Camper Dog has begun.



1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm new to your blog, and I LOVED reading this! Your Cooper is a cutie. :)

    We have three dogs...one big one and two little ones. My boys love the cuddles they get from the wee ones (a Jack Russell terrier and a Mini Dachshund).

    Big Bang Theory is a huge family favorite around here (I know, at times not entirely appropriate for kiddos, but...). Whenever our phone rings, my oldest yells out (a la Howard's mom) "Why are you cawling at this ungawdly hour?!" and every time my youngest gets his hand on my phone, he asks Siri to "wecommend a westawant." :D

    Again, I enjoyed the post. Looking forward to checking out more of your blog!

    Katie
    Mom to a 6 year old boy who would rather eat brussel sprouts (Ack!) and take a bath (Gasp!), than do homeschool spelling.

    ReplyDelete

Where we've been as a family