Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Parade and Blue Screen of Death

We decided to surprise Brit and Cody and go to the Christmas parade last night. This was mostly a surprise because I always forget about it. Well, I don't actually forget about it, but I always think it's closer to Christmas and not at the beginning of the month.

While we were out running errands yesterday, a darn commercial about the parade played on the radio and Brit was listening. She immediately asked if we were going:) Well...surprise baby girl.

We talked about taking hot chocolate and then someone came up with the idea of spiced tea. I love spiced tea. It's one of those things I used to make every year and just didn't get around to it last year. We grabbed the ingredients on our way home and I made up a double batch. Mmm.

We dressed VERY warmly, threw blankets, pillows and chairs in the back of The Beast and brought Cody's snow bibs and a huge thick winter coat for each kid. We had our spiced tea in our thermos and were set. But were we warm enough? Heck no! It was COLD outside!! It was 30*..BURR! It didn't stop us from having a great time. We got to see several people we haven't gotten to see in a while. Sarah and Tori were in the parade and then stood with us and watched the rest of it after they finished. (We parked toward the end of the parade) We saw Bobby's friend that he's known since they were kids. Good times...

Then we got home, and the first thing Britney noticed was that the computer screen was black and wouldn't turn on. Bobby couldn't get it either so he restarted it. Everything seemed to be working fine. He was online for a few minutes, then I got online and then...nothing. The computer froze up and it happened. No, I mean "IT" happened! The big thing that I'm always afraid of witnessing. The Blue Screen of Death! Bobby worked on it for hours. I was SO upset with myself. I had just thought about backing up the pictures last week. Did I actually do it? Nope. So I'm being selfish and feeling miserable and then I look at Brit's face. She was devastated. Completely and truly heartbroken. "I've lost everything. My poems, my stories, the novel" I felt HORRIBLE for her. I couldn't believe I hadn't even taken the time to think about what everyone else had lost. At that point, I pulled the laptop out. I figured if she had copied and pasted it into Nano's site, then it would still be there. We could copy and paste it to the laptop and then put it on disc. We pulled her account up on Nano, but the story isn't there. It still says she won and that she gets a free copy of her novel. I'm slightly relieved because at the very least she'll have the version she submitted. Of course she has spent days editing her story since then, but it was something semi positive. During this time, Bobby had taken out the hard drive and swapped it with our external hard drive. He had changed out the memory...several times and had done everything he could. The computer is dead. But he said he thought the hard drive is good so he hooked it up to Brit's computer and there they are...all of our pictures and files. To say that we are relieved and thankful doesn't quite cover it. Brit has all of her writings and I have my pictures...our lives make sense once again.

Bobby and I stayed up until 1:00 coping pictures onto disc. We finished this morning. The motherboard is shot and at this point, I don't know if it would be better to try and fix the computer, or buy a new one. Either way, we're going to have to wait a while. We both have laptops so we won't be left completely in the dark.

I'll share pictures from the parade as soon as I can. They are still safely tucked inside my camera's memory card:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where we've been as a family