Monday, December 23, 2013

Playing Catch Up

When I'm THIS far behind, it's difficult to catch up...but I'm going to try.  Let's see...

We had Thanksgiving at Dad's.  The only thing Rosie wanted me to bring was a green bean casserole.  I thought I'd try a new recipe so I searched online and decided on THIS one by Ree Drummond.  I was SO excited to make something new and it has tons of awesome reviews.  I woke up early and got to work and not that it's a difficult recipe, it is more work than I'm used to when throwing a green bean casserole together.  Well, it was good, but it wasn't as 'HOLY COW!  THIS IS AWESOME!' as I had hoped.  I mean, there's bacon in it.  That makes everything better.  Other than that slight disappointment, it was a wonderful day :)
 
 

Dakota woke up with a little cough.  The next night, I took the kids to the Christmas parade and by the time we left, his cough was so much worse and raspy and sounded like it hurt his throat.  You know that sound.  He coughed all night and by the next morning, that kid was SICK!  I took him to the doctor completely convinced he had a sinus infection.  I thought I could get him some antibiotics and he'd be feeling better in no time.  The doc checked him out and one look in his throat later, he asked me if I had looked in his throat.  No.  So I took a peak.  There were tiny blisters all over :(  That was a sure sign of...some word I can't pronounce...cold.  Viral.  Crap.  I hate when the kids are sick and there's nothing I can do to make them better.  We stocked up on orange juice and chicken noodle soup (just about the only thing he'll eat when he's sick) and just waited it out.  He was sick for over a week and a half :(

Christmas Parade



Brit landed the lead role in her church's Christmas play.  This was her first lead and she did an amazing job!  She was worried it wouldn't turn out well, but on the day of the performance, everyone nailed it :)  Emily and Chan were also in it and they did an awesome job as well.  Not that I'm surprised in the least.  These girls are so very talented.  Dad and Rosie came up to watch the play and support my girl.  I love that.  Really love that.






Brit had been fighting off getting sick and it was like as soon as the play was over, exhaustion set in.  She felt awful for a couple days too.  Coughing and achy.  More orange juice was administered.  Hopefully, this will be their only round with sickness this winter!

On the 21st, we went to Dad's to celebrate Christmas.  Dad made his authentic Italian roast beef sandwiches.  SO yummy!  Max made a freakin' ginormous fruit cake that was delicious.  I was in charge of...buying pre-made potato salad.  I don't think they liked my green bean casserole either!  Hahaha.  Oh well.  It was a wonderful day full of eating too much and taking a food induced nap.  The kids opened presents that they helped pick out and LOVE...seriously.  Brit got the coolest boots EVER.







Last night, the kids each opened a present early.  It was intended for Christmas eve, but last night worked out well.  They each got new pajamas, a movie, popcorn, hot chocolate and candy.  Fun night :)


This evening, we have a little surprise in store.  More on that later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where we've been as a family